1) The old (Bonn-) Bad Godesberg Jewish Cemetery
After the Second World War 33 gravestones were discovered in the old part of Bad Godesberg at the foot of Godesberg (originally called Woudensberg /Wodensberg, i.e. Mount Wodan). They belonged to the old Bad Godesberg Jewish cemetery. The cemetery, apparently destroyed during Nazi era, was primarily located on the southeast side of Godesberg and was used to bury the dead ca. 1730 to 1895, 1901. The gravestones were reinstalled a few steps from here on a site at Aennchenstrasse. This means that the place which today is known as Bad Godesberg old Jewish cemetery is de facto no cemetery but only a memorial. The gravestones have Hebrew or Hebrew/German inscriptions. Some names found are: Abraham Mayer; Simon Jülich; Jettchen Jülich, born Moses; Bertha Seligmann, born Hohenster; Sarah Leudesdorf, born Wallich; Julie Daniel, born David, Jacob Sommer and Hermann Hermanns.
2) The new (Bonn-) Bad Godesberg Jewish Cemetery
The new Bad Godesberg Jewish cemetery is a section (IV) of Burgfriedhof (castle cemetery) with many beautiful last resting places of celebrities and popular people. The cemetery also located on Godesberg below of the Chapel of St. Michael today counts 53 gravestones and was used by the Bad Godesberg Jewish community 1895 -1980. Some people that found their final resting place at this location are: Rosa Spiegel, born Mayer; Erich Weil; Margot Weil, born Spiegel; Max Oster; Family David Daniel (David Daniel, Jeanette Daniel, born Gehr, Frieda Daniel, Helene Scheuer, born Daniel, Josef Daniel, Verona Hartoch, born Daniel); Abraham Marx; Eva Marx, born Jülich; Max Mayer; Amalia Sommer, born Levy and Hildegard Schott, born Jacobi. The last person buried at the cemetery was Margot Weil, born Spiegel (2,3,1905/9.12.1998), the wife of Erich Weil who had died 21 months earlier on 31.3.1997.
3) The (Bonn-) Bad Godesberg/Mehlem Jewish Cemetery
The Bad Godesberg/Mehlem* Jewish cemetery is located on a hill (Rodderberg) at Oberaustrasse/Levystrasse – near Rolandsbogen – overlooking the Rhine Valley. Several members of the families Eltzbacher, Levy and Marx are buried at this location, e.g. Abraham**, Joseph***, Herz and Cossmann** Levy; Johanna Levy, born Burggraf; Eva Levy, born Cahn, as well as Adolf, Moritz and Moses Marx. The oldest of the 35 preserved gravestones dates from 1868, the last funeral took place here in 1941. The Mehlem Jewish cemetery is not publicly accessible.
*Since 1935 Mehlem is a district of Bad Godesberg that in 1969 became a part of Bonn.
**The synagoge of the Jewish community in Mehlem – destroyed by nazis on November 10, 1938 – was build on a piece of ground at Meckenheimer Strasse in 1874 that belonged to the brothers Abraham and Cossmann Levy.
*** The master butcher Joseph Levy, son of Cossmann Levy, was killed by the SS in June 1935.