Stiftskirche, also called „der kuhle Dom“, was built in 1881-1886 by architect and master builder Heinrich Wiethase (1833-1893) who constructed numerous apostolic buildings in the Archdiocese Cologne.
Stiftskirche, located at Kölner Strasse/Stiftsplatz, in the medieval working class quarter (die Kuhle), replaces a historic church which was built at this site in 1729 as a replacement for the medieval Dietkirche. The so-called „church of the people“ was blasted (1673) by the French occupying troups during the Franco-Dutch War (1672-1678).
Worth seeing in the neo-gothic building are above all the stained glass windows developed by Hubert Berke, artist from Cologne, showing a biblical cycle from „Joy“ and „Whitsun“ at the front entrance, to the tripychon „Faith-Love-Hope“ at the end of the main choir.
(First published on December 20, 2006 @ 10.34)